Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lesson Learned.

Sometimes I think people need to be taught a lesson.
Here’s an example. I’m in college, sitting in the library, hoping that by being in that space, I’ll somehow absorb knowledge via osmosis. This never happened by the way. I hate the library, but that’s another story.
So I’m in the library at a study cubicle making little paper people to have little paper people wars. The person next to me stands up to walk a book back to the other room. He has left his laptop unattended!
My eyes dart to the multiple printed signs (with bad Microsoft Word 1997 clip art to help get the point across) that warn people not to leave their computers alone for theft reasons.
Instead of thinking to myself, “Wow, I better not go anywhere and make sure this guy’s laptop doesn’t get stolen by a less honest and kind person like myself”, my mind immediately goes to the following:
“Wow, what a stupid idiot. Who just leaves their laptop and goes into the other room and expects that nothing’s going to happen? This guy obviously needs to be taught a lesson about needlessly trusting the world and random people like me.”
Then, I create this elaborate heist plot where I take this guy’s laptop and hide it somewhere in the library. I don’t actually want to steal it… that would be wrong. But this guy needs to learn that if he walks away from his computer, he has no right to assume it will be there when he returns.
A similar incident happened the other day. I was out with friends and we were driving home after a night out. We stopped at a grocery store to use the necessary facilities. A small clerk gestured to the back of the room, toward the bathrooms. Before I entered, however, I saw a giant stack of bread loaves, just sitting there. A thought occurred to me, “No one is watching these!” I thought I should teach the store a lesson about leaving loaves of bread in conspicuous places where people like me might decide to take them, or even worse, eat them in the bathroom.
So consequently, I’m constantly bombarded with thoughts to take some dumb guy’s fixed gear bike (stupid Hipsters… don’t worry, you’ll soon be treated with my opinion on that topic) while I’m at a coffee shop. Once I thought about pouring something into a guy’s drink when he wasn’t looking so he would learn that girls aren’t always virtuous. Unfortunately, I would have had to substitute the date rape drug with a sugar packet because I don’t keep the former handy.
The point is you shouldn’t trust me. At all. In my defense, I’ve never actually acted on any of these impulsive desires. Just to be save though, don’t assume I’ll watch your purse.

8 comments:

  1. Don't worry. I would never trust somebody who hates the library...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, seriously, how can you hate the library. It's full of lovely stories!

    lol, you totally should have done that thing with the laptop though, that would have been hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesson learned. Don't trust Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snippet 1: I think Christopher got the moral. As Thane Krios put it: "The law is only a defense against those who agree to be bound by it. Jessica does not."

    Snippet 2: The word for a study cubicle is "carrel."

    Snippet 3: You don't keep date rape drugs handy? I always figured you for a modern girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I've ofen had those same sort of thoughts. Good to know i'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was once walking down the street in Downtown [CITY IN WHICH I LIVE] and noticed a bicycle next to a railing. Now, typically, a bicycle next to a railing is not an interesting sight, especially when said bicycle is attached to said railing with a locked chain. This bicycle, however, had a chain perfectly secured to the rail, but just /over/ the seat of the bicycle. Lifting the chain up and over the seat is all anyone would have had to do to steal this perfectly good bicycle. Being similarly inclined to teach lessons, but not to actually steal, I left the bicycle right where it was, but lifted the chain up over the seat so the bicycle stood, perfectly supported by its kickstand, next to a chain that was well-secured to a railing. I sure hope somebody learned a lesson that day... And that their bike didn't actually get stolen...

    ReplyDelete